Islamic State (IS) extremists released a video showing the beheading of British aid worker David Haines, who was abducted in Syria last year.
British Prime Minister David Cameron, who on late Saturday condemned this slaying as “an act of pure evil”, confirmed Haines’ death in a statement after the British Foreign Office had said earlier that it was “working urgently to verify the video.”
“We will do everything in our power to hunt down these murderers and ensure they face justice, however long it takes,” Mr.Cameron said.
Mr. Cameron returned to his residence at 10 Downing Street shortly after midnight and is expected to chair a meeting of the government’s emergency response committee on early Sunday.
The video emerged a day after Haines’ family issued a public plea on Friday urging his captors to contact them.
The Foreign Office said it was offering Haines’ family “every support possible.”
IS militants recently beheaded two American journalists, James Foley and Steven Sotloff, and posted the videos online after the U.S. began launching airstrikes and humanitarian missions in August to aid waning Iraqi and Kurdish security forces in northern Iraq. The IS group has also put out videos showing the beheading of Kurdish and Lebanese soldiers and the mass shooting of dozens of captured Syrian soldiers.
At the end of the video showing the beheading of Sotloff, the Islamic State group threatened to kill Haines next and briefly showed him on camera.
President Barack Obama issued a statement strongly condemning “the barbaric murder” of Haines by the Islamic State terrorist group.
1:08 PM | 0 comments